Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures Tartan figures



Tartan Ferret
Test

Tartan Display

Back to Search Results
  • Name of Tartan:
    MacDonald of Borrodale (Clan)
  • Alternative Name: Lady Borrodale's Gift
  • ITI Number: 2584
  • Category: Portrait/Artefact
  • Designer / Source: Unknown
  • Date: pre 1746
MacDonald of Borrodale (Clan)
  • Notes: Swatch from Rosa MacDonald, 1991. Tartan was gift of Lady MacDonald of Borrodale to Prince Charles Edward 1746. Following explanation from the Kirkliston Pipe Band site who use the tartan: "After the Battle of Culloden on 16th April 1746, Prince Charles Edward Stuart was a fugitive in the West Highlands until rescued by French ships in Arisaig on 20th September. His escape took him into the 'safe' Clanranald territory of Morar, Arisaig and Moidart. He was sheltered by Angus and Catriona MacDonald of Borrodale. Six days later the Prince, four companions, Donald MacLeod and seven Clanranalds, sailed for the Outer Hebrides in an eight-oared boat of the Borrodales. As soon as they were clear of the sheltered waters of the sea loch at Arisaig, a violent storm arose. Driven by the gale through the night and in constant danger of capsizing, the boat reached Benbecula where the Prince, his companions and crew hid for two days. They then sailed to Scalpay off Harris where they were hospitably received by Donald Campbell a tenant of MacLeod of Dunvegan, and where the Prince was given a change of clothes. On departure, he left the sea-soaked tartan lately given to him by Lady Borrodale, with Donald Campbell and his family. Two fragments of this tartan cloth are known to have survived. One in the West Highland Museum, Fort William, and the other among a collection of Stuart relics at Stonyhurst College in Lancashire. The pieces were brought together by Peter MacDonald, Handloom Weaver, Crieff, who reconstructed the original tartan, using dyes to match the original colours of indigo blue and cochineal red. The research to authenticate the history of the tartan, was carried out by Mr Tom Massey Lynch on behalf of Stonyhurst College, and the recreated tartan was displayed in the Royal Museum of Scotland by courtesy of the Trustees of the College. " Woven by D C Dalgliesh.
  • Who weaves this Tartan?
  •   This is for Business Members only. If you are a business member and are not logged in please log in.
    If you are not a business member and would like to consider joining, please have a look at our membership benefits.
  • MacDonald of Borrodale (Clan)
  • click to zoom




© Scottish Tartans Authority
Scottish Tartans Authority (Scottish limited company no. 162386), c/o J & H Mitchell, 51 Atholl Road, Pitlochry, PH16 5BU
Scottish Charity Number SCO24310

Site By Radiator